In the aftermath of the storms that swept through the Midwest, many parents are left asking, as they work to clean up storm damage, how they can console their frightened children.
- Fear of Storms Can Be Dealt With – This article offers some truly useful insight from psychologists about how parents can deal with their children’s fears.
- How to Explain Thunderstorms to Small Children – Get some practical advice from those in the trenches about how to explain a storm to a small child in a way he or she will easily understand.
- How to Cope with a Child Afraid of Storms – Practical parenting advice about helping your child overcome his fear of storms.
- Purdue University on Helping Children Overcome Fears – Support for parents that lists practical ways to help children overcome a variety of fears.
- Children’s Book Author and Meteorologist – Advice on the level of the child along with an illustrated book that explains storms thoroughly.
Probably one of the best ways to help calm your child’s fears is for you, the parent, to stay as calm and matter of fact as possible. So, the next time a storm hits, be prepared and help your child as he learns about the earth’s atmosphere and why lightning, thunder and tornadoes happen.