Wedding planning checklist: a great place to start
Wedding planning can seem overwhelming at first, especially if you are on a budget or you’ve never been involved in a wedding before. Even if you have a length wedding planning timeline, time can slip away quickly and the big day can be upon you before you know it. Below is a handy checklist to get you started and some suggestions of local Louisville wedding businesses that might be able to help you get organized and started on planning the big day.
What to do first:
- Choose a theme. Some weddings have a big overall theme, such as a medieval wedding. Other weddings simply have a color theme.
- Choose the place and date. One of the very first things you should do is to choose a place for your wedding and reception and the date of the event. Some venues fill up quickly. You may have to reserve a year or more in advance to get the local of your dreams.
- Choose your bridesmaids and maid of honor. Involve your bridesmaids early in the process. They can be a big help in finding the perfect bridesmaids dresses. You want your attendants to look beautiful too. It will only enhance your own beauty on the big day.
- Start looking for “the” dress. It is never too early to find the perfect dress and it can often take months to find just the right one, so start looking immediately.
What to do next:
- Find a caterer and order your cake.
- Find a florist and reserve their services.
- Go to premarital counseling. This can help strengthen your relationship before the marriage and prepare you to live with another person, which is often a challenge for most couples.
- Recruit family and friends to help with decorations.
- Decide on catering or do-it-yourself food. If catering, hire a caterer. If do-it-yourself, recruit friends and family to help.
- HIre a photographer. It is best to go with a professional. You want the memories to last forever.
- Begin gathering a guest list, so you can narrow it down if necessary or so you don’t miss anyone.
- Plan your honeymoon and purchase tickets.
What to do later:
- Order the invitations a few months before the big event and begin addressing them, or recruit friends and family to address the envelopes. This is often a huge job.
- Make sure the wedding dress fits perfectly.
- Find the perfect shoes and accessories to go with the dress.
- Schedule hair and nail appointments for the big day.
- Go to your bachelorette party and wedding showers.
- Confirm with everyone you’ve hired and every place you’ve reserved (florist, caterer, cake lady, photographer, minister, church, wedding singer, reception hall, etc.)
While this list is by no means comprehensive, it should give you a good idea of what you must begin planning immediately and what can wait until later. Planning a wedding is no small task, so don’t be scared to ask for help. For those living in the Louisville area, you may want to check out the following websites, which will help you with local resources for planning your wedding.