Nayda Suleman, the mother to whom octuplets were born recently, has had quite a bit of bad press, but is it all deserved? True, she already had six children and choosing to have eight more while single and jobless seems a bit… well… insane. However, the fact that she chose life for those eight babies, rather than selective abortions (keeping only the ones she wanted) should give her a few brownie points. It’s doubtful she thought she’d ever carry all eight embryos to term. In fact, octuplets are rare. She also seems to genuinely love her children.
FAQs about Octomom and Octuplets
Octoplets are rare indeed. Most people who have multiple babies in a single pregnancy either opt for selective abortion or are unable to carry the babies to viability.
Details about Octoplets
- Octoplets are eight babies sharing a womb.
- Unless babies split from a single egg, such as with identical twins, each baby would have its own placenta.
- Moms need an estimated 300 extra calories per baby per day. Small, frequent meals are important for moms pregnant with multiples to keep calories up.
- Births of multiples have increased by 65% in recent decades.
- Almost all extreme multiple births are the result of fertility enchancements.
- Only five sets of octoplets have any living survivors and only one set has all eight babies alive.
- Octoplets aren’t always born on the same day. Birth may be delayed for some babies.
- Average babies go through 8 diapers a day, so octoplets would go through 64 diapers ever day.
Did Octomom Nadya ever work?
Yes, she worked for a state mental hospital, but was injured during a riot.
Did Nadya Suleman have fertility treatments?
Of course she did! Octoplets don’t just happen in nature. Suleman was on fertility drugs to conceive. She paid for these treatments with the disability settlement from her injury during the inmate riot.
What are the Suleman Octoplet names?
Nadya named her children from the Bible.
Octomom Got a Lot of Criticism
My heart also goes out to her for the way her own mother has publicly spoken against Nayda. Yes, her mother is aggravated with her choices, but can you imagine your own mother going on national television and saying bad things about you?
So, what are your thoughts? Love her? Hate her? Feel sorry for her? Think she’s trying to live off welfare? Think she’s just insane? Please post your comments below.