Bad economy candy for your kids
During a bad economy, candy for your kids and other little luxuries can seem out of reach. Here are a few ideas for keeping the family supplied with treats without breaking the bank:
- Make Your Own Candy – There are many frugal recipe sites on the Internet, such as the Hillbilly Housewife and FrugalRecipes.com.
- Buy in Bulk – If you have membership to Sam’s Club or Costco, you may be able to buy a favorite type of candy in bulk and save over time. Stores such as Gordon Food Service do not require a membership and sell items in bulk.
- Buy After Season Sales – The day after Christmas, Valentine’s Day and Easter, most of the candies for these holidays will go on sale for 50 percent off or more. Many types of candies can be frozen to keep them fresh, so don’t be shy about loading the cart as full as you’d like and stocking up for later.
- Buy Local Candy – Local candy shops may offer great discounts and special sales that will save money and provide a special treat for your family. Talk to local shop owners to find out what types of deals there are to be had.
- Trade with Others – Make your trademark candy and ask a few other moms to do the same. Then, meet and exchange with one another to make up a tray of different types of sweets that your family will love.
Just because your budget may be tighter than it has been in the past, doesn’t mean your family has to be deprived. With a little planning ahead and creativity, you can still enjoy the indulgent treats that make holidays and special occasions days to remember.