There is nothing quite a satisfying as a fun weekend away with your husband and close friends. It is so easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of daily living that we forget how to connect with our spouses. A typical day in my life consists of the following:
- Get up early
- Get daughters up and going
- Make sure everyone has what they need for the day
- Drive youngest daughter to school
- Come home and straighten house
- Start on my own work (editing and writing and a little promotion for some authors I represent)
- Take care of the animals throughout this and perhaps throw in a load of laundry or clean house a little
- Pick up youngest from school
- Drive youngest to cheerleading, which is nearly every night
- Fix dinner
- Clean up from dinner mess
- Help with any homework, etc.
- Collapse for an hour or two and try to rest
That is on a light day. Add in the grocery or a million other things that come up and the schedule gets even crazier. This doesn’t leave a lot of time for the husband and I to spend with one another. I suspect that our schedule is very similar to what a lot of other families face. A weekend getaway can be the perfect solution.
Think you don’t have enough funds for a weekend getaway? You’d be surprised how inexpensively you can have one. Here are some ideas, depending on your personal preferences:
- Go camping and hiking (I would hate this one, but to each his own)
- Find a family member or friend that has a lake house or a cabin and ask if you can spend the weekend there or pay them a little to use their getaway place. Make sure you leave it in better shape than when you arrived, since they’ll be doing you a huge favor.
- Ship the kids to a relative or friend’s house and spend the weekend at home with movies and back rubs.
- Save up for your weekend away. We put back $50 a week to help offset the cost we knew we would incur from our trip. It took us a couple of months to save up. We could have done the trip more inexpensively, of course, but part of the fun of our trip was treating ourselves to a luxurious weekend we normally wouldn’t spend the money on.
However you decide to go about it, take the time to connect with that most important person in your life.