The area around your swimming pool is an important design space that can enhance your outdoor fun. All it takes is a little creativity and imagination to design a true poolside haven.
Design a Shaded Area
While swimming in the pool is the main activity, you also was to provide an area where everyone can get out of the sun. This shaded spot is a necessity for cooling off and relaxing poolside. You can add some comfortable lounge chairs as well as a dining table with chairs for poolside meals.
Some styles include:
- Adirondack chairs give a touch of nostalgia to a poolside seating area. Add matching ottomans.
- Sling chairs are great for a nice beach or retro look.
- Steel frame poolside seats are designed so you can sit with your legs dangling in the water.
- Sectionals with thick cushions can create an outdoor living area by your pool
- Other furniture choices include, sofas, recliners and of course rockers.
- A simple picnic table is always a great addition for poolside meals
Types of Shade
Short of a nice shade tree, you can create a shaded area using fabric sails, awnings, a portico or a simple table umbrella. A patio area can be shielded against the afternoon sun with grommet styled outdoor curtains.
Large tall potted plants can also be used to screen outdoor spaces from intense sun. Just be sure the plants thrive in sunlight. In addition, these plants will add a great aesthetic value to your outdoor design.
Outdoor Kitchen Ideas
If you have the budget and room to include an outdoor kitchen it’ll more than pay for itself in the convenience it’ll provide.
You want to include:
- Grill and preparation area
- Bar with a few stools or bar height chairs
- Sink and even an outdoor dishwasher is ideal.
- Plenty of storage cabinets and space
If you’re working on a smaller budget, then you can still have some of the conveniences of an outdoor kitchen.
Use the following items:
- Roller cart filled with grilling tools, condiments and other items you’ll need. This can be moved in and out of the kitchen to the patio or deck area.
- Makeshift bars can be created using barrels and wood plank, covered with a tablecloth.
- A mini-refrigerator can always be wheeled out and used for a night or afternoon party.
- A tub of ice can serve as a refrigerator for bottled drinks, melons and any other food that needs to be kept cool.
Accessorize Your Outdoor Space
Once you have the basics taken care of in your poolside haven, it’s time to layer in accessorize to add depth to your design.
- Throw pillows are great for lumbar support and adding colors, textures and patterns.
- Outdoor rugs will help define different zones, such as dining, sitting and lounging spaces.
- Decorative shelves can be used on outdoor walls and fences.
- End tables and coffee tables can support outdoor table lamps.
- Colorful flower pots filled with bright abundant flowers will add splashes of color.
- Outdoor statues and other art objects can be place around the pool, dining and sitting areas.
- Vases of freshly cut flowers can be placed on end tables, coffee table, bar and dining table.
- Flower boxes aren’t just for window sills.
- Outdoor paintings can be hung on the outside wall of your home or garden walls.
- An outdoor mirror gives a homey touch
- String lights, colorful Chinese lanterns, tiki torches and gas lamps/lanterns give needed light and a romantic ambiance to any outdoor evening fun.
Versatile Outdoor Living
The activities that take place around a backyard pool can be enhanced when you make the area a true retreat. Add various art objects and other touches to reflect your personal taste and style.