Salmon Patties Dollar Stretcher
One of the cheapest and healthiest meals you can prepare for your family is salmon patties. A can of salmon from Aldi’s costs about $2.30 and the cost at Walmart is typically $2.70. You can sometimes find cheaper pricing, but you can have a high protein based meal for under $3. I typically get about six nice sized patties from just one can.
You can use the salmon patty much like a hamburger by serving on a bun with lettuce, tomato and condiments or serve with veggie side dishes.
Great Meal Sides
Depending on the size of your family, this can be accompanied with a starch, such as potato (baked or mashed) or rice; both are inexpensive. If you grow your own veggies, you probably have a pantry of canned green beans, okra, corn, peppers and other delicious choices. This melody of food creates an economical and highly healthy meal for your family.
Even if you don’t grow your own food, the cost for a can or package of frozen peas is nominal. These side dishes can be used in pure form, or you can add a few simple ingredients to turn green beans into a casserole. You may simply prefer to add a salad to your salmon meal and call it a great dieter’s meal.
I remember my mom making salmon patties. She made them in the shape of balls. I prefer patties that resemble hamburger patties, mostly because it’s easier to cook than rolling balls around the pan. My mom was a very accomplished cook and never once burned a salmon patty ball.
- 1 – 14 oz or 15 oz can of uncooked salmon
- 1 c crushed saltine crackers
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (chunky chopped if desired)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp rosemary (optional)
- You can add green pepper, parsley or other seasonings to your personal taste.
That’s it! A very simple, cheap and easy recipe for something that tastes so fantastic and is very healthy.
Mix all ingredients. I use my hands for this, like mixing hamburger meat for a meatloaf. I use disposable plastic gloves when mixing meats, poultry or fish.
Once everything is thoroughly mixed, shape into desired size of patties.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan (enough to cook patties). I use a mix of olive oil and butter. If you don’t like the taste of olive oil, try sunflower or safflower oil. I cook with these oils as well.
- Place patties in frying pan and cook until brown and turn to cook the other side. You’ll be able to see the patty cooking to the midway point of the patty (approximately 3-5 mins each side).
- Serve immediately. You can serve condiments to the patty, such as ketchup, tartar sauce, horseradish or simply eat plain. Enjoy!
Economical Salmon Patty Meals
With just a little planning, it’s easy to save money and have great tasting meals. Salmon patties offer two types of meals that salmon lovers will like and want often.