Love them or hate them, the Kardashians have a lot of sway in the fashion world and Kylie Jenner (half-sister to the famous Kardashian trio) has that exotic beauty that her big sisters have.
Young girls look up to her for that beauty and something many of them have noticed recently is that she has lips that are plump. Not everyone has the genetics that create that plump lipped look, though, and some young girls are going to extremes to try to get that look.
It’s called the #KylieJennerChallenge. Young girls take a shot glass or other glass container with a small opening and use it to essentially “bruise” their lips and make them look swollen and plump. I’m not going to share details on exactly how it is done because I do not want to give directions to any young girls thinking about taking on this insanity. I will tell young girls reading this, to please read to the bottom and find out why this is so dangerous and also to get some tips for making your lips look fuller in a safe way.
The Dangers of #KylieJennerCallenge
According to CBS New York, doctors have reported that the challenge is dangerous. In the article, reporter Jill Nicolini gets input from Dr. Francesca Fusco, a dermatologist at Wexler Dermatology.
His bottom line? “It’s trauma to the lips.” Fusco pointed out that the challenge requires stitches in some cases, which can leave the person taking the challenge with scarring.
The challenge is particularly popular with very young girls. Jenner herself is only 17, so girls younger than that want to emulate her and are taking this challenge in an effort to gain the Jenner lush lipped look.
It is important for parents to inform their children (boys are doing this challenge, too, parents!) that:
- The challenge can lead to permanent scarring and disfigurement. More than one doctor and dermatologist has said so.
- Bruising and intense pain.
- The resulting look is not anything like Jenner’s. In fact, it is almost gruesome to look at. Here are a few of the results below…
As you can see, the results are not attractive and in some cases are downright gruesome.
Achieving Plumper Lips without Going to Extremes
This section is more for young people looking to have plumper lips, ala Jenner style, but the tips below will allow you to enhance your look without damaging your body irreparably. Please be smart about beauty.
- Outline lips with a shade lighter than your lipstick or a nude color lip pencil. If you want your lips to look fuller, you can color slightly outside the line of your natural lips but follow the shape of your natural lip shape for the best look. Fill in the inside of your lips with color.
- A dab of gloss in the center bottom lip adds light and reflection and makes your lips look fuller.
- There are some lipsticks on the market that promise a fuller look. I’ve not had a chance to try these but have had some friends use them and was not impressed.
- Use a lighter color lipstick. Dark colors tend to make lips look thinner.
- Lip balm that contains mint can naturally enhance blood flow and slightly plump up lips.
Trends on Twitter
It’s important for parents to stay up to date on some of the latest online trends. Things like this Kylie Jenner lip challenge, cinnamon challenge and whatever else comes out next can be dangerous. If you’re aware, then you can talk to your child about your concerns. You will save her a lot of pain and potential damage and she may just tell her friends as well.
I do want to add that Kylie Jenner has come out saying that she does not encourage young girls to take this challenge but to learn to love themselves the way they are.