Christmas is a time for get-togethers with friends and family. Setting a festive table is part of that fun. When you have a truly gorgeous table set for holiday cheer, you and your guests will fall quickly into the Christmas spirit.
Christmas table runners made out of greenery are the mainstay of many Christmas centerpieces and other decorations. You can make your table centerpiece truly unique by creating a table runner with a foundation of greenery.
Make a Christmas Greenery Runner Your Way
You first need to decide on the type of Christmas greenery you wish to use. The classic choice is pine or cedar, but you might have a magnolia tree and decide those large leaves are perfect. If you live in a tropical climate, palm fronds make excellent greenery. Holly branches with red berries or other plants, such as nandina that also has red berries might be your choice.
Layer Your Christmas Table Runner
You’ll want to layer your christmas table runner as you create it.
- Select a tablecloth, ideally a solid color, such as white will show off the green and other colors.
- Purchase or cut fresh greenery. If you wish to add a snow effect, spray outside and allow to dry before bringing inside.
- Lay the greenery down the center of the table. Trim any branch and tuck into sprays for an even and polished look.
- You can add battery operated mini-lights or weave LED sprigs or twigs.
- Place seed pods, pine cones, berries, various sizes of votive candle holders and column candles within the greenery.
- Another addition could be natural or white painted twigs or natural vines.
- Add Christmas balls and other Christmas ornaments.
- If you wish to add more color, place various sizes of bows or thread a few ribbon streamers through the runner.
- You may prefer to add various types of fresh fruit, such as pomegranates, pears, oranges, tangerines and apples.
- Create calligraphy style tags with messages of peace, love, joy and other words that describe the holiday.
- If fruit isn’t your ideal choice, then add large, medium and small flowers to the greenery.
Other Greenery Table Runner Themes
There are many themes you can use along with the greenery and candles. These are fun and inexpensive to make.
This theme can showcase your summer vacation collection of seashells. You can also use driftwood, coral, starfish and sand dollars.
- Ceramics, such as lighthouses, fish and dolphins.
- Sailboats, buoys and nets.
- Seabird wood carvings, driftwood and apothecary jars filled with sea glass.
This is a perfect companion theme to greenery, such as pine or cedar with pine cones.
- Deer, moose and/or elk are all candidates for this theme.
- Wood carved sleigh filled with Christmas gifts.
- Painted wooden elves with Santa Claus, sleigh bells and red ribbons.
- Small log cabins, plaid bows and tall spire style Christmas trees.
- Rough-hewed wood rounds with candles or woodland animals and cover with glass cloches.
A gingerbread theme can be enchanting, especially for small children. Add battery operated lights and/or candles.
- Play up the theme with several medium-sized gingerbread houses.
- Gingerbread boys and girls can be edible decorated cookies for this theme.
- Add lots of colorful candies strewn along the runner and spilling onto the table.
Christmas Table Runners
There are many other items you can use to create a stunning Christmas greenery table runner that reflects your personality and interests. You may choose to display a favorite collection along with various ornaments as another themed idea.
all photos courtesy of ProFlowers