Recently a good friend of mine told me she’d bought some corned beef at the deli and made her own Reuben sandwiches for dinner and how delicious they were. Ever since she told me that, I have been craving a good Reuben sandwich. There is just something about the varying textures and tastes of corned beef, sauerkraut, and creamy Thousand Island dressing that calls my name.
Now, if you are not low carbing or it is your cheat day, you can certainly use some marbled rye bread, coat the outside in grass fed butter, and fry these up for a carb-laden, decadent treat. However, today I really wanted this sandwich and can’t have the bread, so I came up with this recipe for my lunch.
It was completely delicious and I just had to share it with you as something unique you can eat to break up the monotony of dieting a bit.
- 1/4 pound corned beef from the deli per "sandwich"
- 3-6 slices Mesquite turkey lunch meat I prefer Oscar Mayer brand
- 2 Tablespoons Sauerkraut (I used a canned German variety. You can also make your own with a recipe such as this one at Keto Diet App
- 2 slices of baby Swiss cheese I got deli sliced for this, too, because I wanted it fresh and yummy
- 1 teaspoon Mayonnaise
- 1-2 Tablespoons Walden Farms Thousand Island Dressing regular Thousand Island has 4-5 grams of carbs per serving, so you could conceivably use that, but it is your choice how low carb you want to go
Get a glass or microwave safe plate and place one slice of Swiss cheese on the bottom
Spread the mayo over the top of the cheese
Top with corned beef
Place turkey slices on next layer
Add Thousand Island dressing to taste
Top with the other slice of Swiss cheese
Microwave for 30 seconds on high for a 1000-watt oven and check. You want the cheese to just soften and not melt all the way. You are basically warming the concoction. If you cook too long, it will be really messy to eat but still taste delicious.
Eat with a fork
The key to a truly delicious Reuben is to buy deli corned beef (or make yourself from scratch) and deli cheese. It costs a bit more but makes a huge difference in the taste because it is fresher and you can have the corned beef shaved very thin.
That’s my recipe for a low carb corned beef. You could also place these ingredients on Nature’s Own sugar free bread if you must have bread. Cook with the best butter you can afford (preferably grass fed) just like you would a grilled cheese. Enjoy!